Current:Home > ContactJudge dismisses lawsuits filed against rapper Drake over deadly Astroworld concert -Capitatum
Judge dismisses lawsuits filed against rapper Drake over deadly Astroworld concert
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 11:17:57
HOUSTON (AP) — Hip-hop artist Drake has been dismissed from a lawsuit over the deadly 2021 Astroworld festival in Houston in which 10 people were killed, a judge has ruled.
Drake was a special guest of rap superstar Travis Scott, who had headlined the festival. He performed with Scott at the end of the concert on Nov. 5, 2021, as the crowd surged and attendees were packed so tightly that many could not breathe or move their arms or legs. Authorities and festival organizers were trying to shut down the show.
The families of the 10 people who died during the concert, as well as hundreds who were injured, sued Drake, Scott and Live Nation — the festival’s promoter — as well as dozens of other individuals and entities.
Many of those who were sued, including Drake and Scott, have asked state District Judge Kristen Hawkins to dismiss the lawsuits against them. On Wednesday, Hawkins dismissed Drake from the case in a brief order.
Lawyers for Drake, whose full name is Aubrey Drake Graham, had argued during a court hearing April 1 in Houston that he was not involved in putting the concert together so was not liable for the deaths and injuries that had occurred.
During a deposition he gave in November in Toronto, the Canadian rapper said in the moments before he took the stage, no one told him that people in the crowd were suffering cardiac arrests or other injuries. He said when he was on stage, the crowd looked like a blur and he couldn’t make out any details.
In the deposition, Drake was shown a video that the youngest victim, 9-year-old Ezra Blount, took as he sat on his father’s shoulders.
“Do you see the panic in those people’s eyes?” an attorney asked Drake about the video.
“I do, sir,” the rapper responded.
Later, when asked by an attorney for Blount’s family about whether it would be important for him to hear from those who put the concert together about why Blount died, Drake said, “I think I would want answers for what happened, yes.”
On Monday, Hawkins dismissed seven companies and individual people who had been sued. But she denied motions to dismiss that were filed by 10 other companies and individuals, including Apple Inc., which produced a livestream of the concert, and two companies associated with Scott. Hawkins was set to hear other motions to dismiss, including one related to Scott as an individual, on Monday.
Following an investigation by Houston Police, no charges were filed against Scott. A grand jury in June declined to indict him and five other people on any criminal counts related to the deadly concert. Police Chief Troy Finner declined to say what was the overall conclusion of his agency’s investigation.
In July, the police department made public its nearly 1,300-page investigative report in which festival workers highlighted problems and warned of possible deadly consequences.
Those killed, who ranged in age from 9 to 27, died from compression asphyxia, which an expert likened to being crushed by a car.
The first trial from the lawsuits is scheduled for May 6.
Some of the lawsuits have since been settled, including those filed by the families of four of the people killed during the concert. The most recent settlement related to a person who was killed was announced in court filings on Feb. 5, with lawyers for the family of 23-year-old Rodolfo “Rudy” Peña saying they had settled their case.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (61197)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Alabama court ruled frozen embryos are children. Experts explain potential impacts to IVF treatment.
- MLS opening week schedule: Messi, Inter Miami kick off 2024 season vs. Real Salt Lake
- Georgia drivers could refuse to sign traffic tickets and not be arrested under bill
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Man suspected in killing of woman in NYC hotel room arrested in Arizona after two stabbings there
- Whoopi Goldberg Fiercely Defends Malia Obama's Stage Name
- A gender-swapping photo app helped Lucy Sante come out as trans at age 67
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Ghost gun manufacturer agrees to stop sales to Maryland residents
Ranking
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Barry Keoghan gets naked for Vanity Fair Hollywood cover issue, talks 'Saltburn' dance
- NBC Sports California hiring Harry Caray's great-grandson as A's play-by-play voice
- Widow, ex-prime minister, former police chief indicted in 2021 assassination of Haiti's President Jovenel Moïse
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Taylor Swift's private jet tracker claps back, saying he's done 'nothing unlawful'
- Man accused of lying to FBI about Hunter Biden claimed he got fake information from Russian intelligence
- Alabama lawmakers would define man and woman based on sperm and ova
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Aldi debuts wine priced at $4.95 per bottle: See the full California Heritage Collection
Chicago Sues 5 Oil Companies, Accusing Them of Climate Change Destruction, Fraud
Two teenagers charged with murder in shooting near Chicago high school
The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
Seattle police officer who struck and killed graduate student from India won’t face felony charges
Man arrested in Audrii Cunningham's death was previously convicted on child enticement charges
Target announces collection with Diane von Furstenberg, including wrap dresses, home decor